Welcome to the Nurse's Office
at the Wind Gap Middle School
Sylvia Fowler, RN, BSN, CSN
Message from the School Nurse:
Please refer to the following recommendations regarding keeping your child home from school during periods of illness.
REASONS TO KEEP YOUR CHILD HOME FROM SCHOOL:
● FEVER > 100
● COUGH – CONTINUOUS COUGH IS DISRUPTIVE IN CLASS
● VOMITING AND DIARRHEA X2 IN 24 HOURS
● PAIN (EAR)
● SKIN (RASH)
● SORE THROAT > 48 HOURS
Please do not send your child to school if they have a fever of 100.0 or greater. Children may return to school AFTER being fever free for 24 hours without the use of a fever reducing medication, such as Tylenol or Ibuprofen.
If your child continually complains of a “sore throat”, have your child seen by your healthcare provider. “Strep throat” can only be determined when properly tested.
Antibiotic medication prescribed for you child, due to an illness such as strep throat, must be taken for 24 hours, before returning to school.
Children who have vomited and/or had diarrhea are not to return to school until they are symptom free for 24 hours.
If you have any questions or concerns in regards to the health of your child, please call the school nurse.
Some Helpful Healthy Tips throughout the year!
● Proper hand washing – simple soap and water, work best to minimize the spread of germs.
● Use hand sanitizer, if soap and water is not available.
● Coughing into bend of the elbow, instead of hands, minimizes the spread of germs.
● Throw away used tissues and napkins.
● Don’t share cups, eating utensils, plates, etc…
● If diagnosed with Strep Throat – throw away the toothbrush, the germs may live in the bristles.